Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Smoooothies

IMAG0132 by **amanda*jane**
IMAG0132, a photo by **amanda*jane** on Flickr.



Yesterday I discovered Xanthan Gum. I read quiet a lot of healthy eating type blogs and everyone swears by this stuff for making smoothies nice and thick.

My first experiment didn't go so well because I hadn't realised quite how little you need!!! I put two teaspoons in and it completely clogged the blender and made a rather oddly tasting inedible lump.

Smoothie number 2 with about a quarter of a teaspoon was much nicer!!!!

Into the blender I put

1 banana
Some milk (regular moo milk)
two handfuls of spinach
1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum
1 teaspoon smooth whole peanut butter
1 teaspoon Nutella
squirt of almond flavouring
6 ice cubes

if I'd had more soft fruit I'd have put it in there but our strawberry crop is still growing and I'd eaten the only ripe raspberries on the bush already!!!

This photo is one I made quite a while ago. I completely forgot to take a photo of the new and improved version until I'd finished the lot!!!!!

The funniest thing about Xanthan Gum is trying to wash it off a spoon. As soon as you get water near it, it turns into slime (which if you're strange like me is quite fun to play with!), but you just can't wash it off easily! I've left the spoon to soak. I'm not sure my sister-in-law is going to have been very impressed to find it in the washing up bowl!!





3 comments:

  1. I need some nourishment right now and will be right over to join you in a glass.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings From Southern California

    I added myself to follow your blog.

    I invite you to visit and follow TOGB.

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutella in a healthy smoothie? Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete