Friday, 17 June 2011

Just be yourself

I've lost count of the number of times I've been told this over the years. "Stop trying to impress others", "stop trying to be one of the cool kids", "just be yourself and they'll like you for who you are".

But to be honest, after many years of trying to be someone else, I've rather lost track of who I am. Even now, I look at myself and think "who do I want to be?". I'm 35 years old, I'm not a kid any more. I'm married and on the verges of starting my own family and yet I still feel I have no idea who I actually am......

I'm sure this can't just be a "me" thing. I'm sure other people must try to be something they're not a lot of the time.

There are a couple of people on my bloglist who *do* inspire me and I *do* want to be very like them. They're both a little older than me and despite their ups and downs, they're both strong women living their lives the best way they know how and keeping to their own priorities despite what the media throws at us all.

Goodness, that sounds quite silly and gushy really, but all I'm trying to say is... oh piffle, I'm not sure what I'm actually trying to say, I'm just saying it.

Edited to add: Sometimes I get sidetracked and recently when I've been trying to write a blog entry, I just end up on such a tangent that I don't know how I go there (in my head) or how to get back. Often, it's just easier to let the words fall out of my mouth and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. I am 30 and feel like I should know who I am, be who I.
    I don't know.
    I guess we are all on a journey of self love, evolution, growth...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a sticky beak that I immediately want to know who the people are who inspire you :)

    Here's a thought, though - what exactly about them inspires you? You might find that it's ing that you are, as well.

    I don't think anyone ever really knows who they are, to be honest. But the journey and the learning can be just as satisfying as the knowing.

    ReplyDelete