Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Prague and Beckerovka



I spent the weekend in Prague with my mums and had a wonderful time. It's a beautiful city and I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in architecture as the buildings are stunning.

One of the most interesting things of course was the food and drink *smiles*. We discovered a local drink called Becherovka, which is a herbal Bitters and is marvellous for the digestion. I had a few bad tummy aches when we were there and this stuff worked a treat at curing them!! I also had Absinthe ice cream which was like Mr Whippy ice cream (those in the UK know what I mean!) flavoured with Absinthe. All I know is that it made my tongue numb (this photo isn't mine but I've linked to the original blog). The food was heavenly too. I had duck with little dumplings (like gnocchi) and cabbage one night and then goulash the next and both were delicious.
I also found it funny that in EVERY SINGLE gift shop they sold those little battery powered ferrets attached to a ball (I'm not sure what they're actually called). Very strange!

We did a river trip which was really interesting. Especially when they shows us the level that the water had reached during the 2002 floods. It's hard to imagine what it must have looked like but it was very strange sitting in a boat and having to crane your neck up to see a plaque on a window several meters up.

All in all I think my favourite was the Old Town Square and the Astronomical Clock. The atmosphere was brilliant, especially when the trumpets played every hour on the hour and the crowds cheered!

I had an absolutely wonderful time and would love to go back again.
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment